Home / Topic / Tap events and reading

Tap events and reading

Home Kwiksher Forums General Discussion Tap events and reading

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • tradexcel12
    Participant

Alex posted a thought provoking article on Facebook http://qz.com/159059/tablets-make-it-impossible-for-kids-to-get-lost-in-a-story/Curious what others here think.

Anonymous

Hi KarenD,I think the article raises some fair points. However my take on it is that and always has been is, good content is 'good content' no matter what platform, books or screen.You have to think about the content you make, do you make content purely to entertain or educate or both or make the viewer think and then create it with the medium in mind. "Most apps for kids are crammed with interactive inanities, interactivity with no objective apart from getting kids to tap on the screen." this sentence stood out for me. Nothing wrong with tapping for the sake of it if the objective is to entertain or delight, just look at the excellent Petting Zoo and who's to say when a child see's a real live animal their not imagining an animal behaving in a similar way after using the Petting Zoo app.The key thing for me is, choice. Parents choose what they buy and we choose what we make and the children choose what they do and do not like.Kind RegardsDaren

tradexcel12
    Participant

Hi Daren, I think as parents we may not realize just how comfortable kids are becoming with tablet apps. My 3rd grade grand daughter feels that the tap event apps are “baby books” yet avidly reads books with just text and few pictures on her iPad. "the children choose what they do and do not like" will become the deciding factor I think. What turns on an adult in an app could easily leave the tech savvy kids feeling bored. School aged kids are a tough crowd! It won't be long before pre-schoolers are just as tough.

Anonymous

Hi Karen,Yes kids are the toughest / honest critics so we have n't picked the easy option!I think this is still such a new industry we will learn as we go along what works.Have a great ChristmasDaren

tradexcel12
    Participant

Hope your Christmas is a great one, too!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Preference Center

Strictly Necessary

these coolies are for WP-SpamShield, gdpr-wp, woocommerce, paypal

PHPSESSID, SJECT16, JCS_INENREF, JCS_INENTIM, gdpr, woocommerce_cart_hash, woocommerce_items_in_cart, woocommerce_recently_viewed, wordpress_, wordpress_logged_in_, wordpress_sec_, wordpress_test_cookie, wp_woocommerce_session_, AKDC, akavpau_ppsd

Functionality

WordPress cookie created when auto-saving a post in the editor.

wp-saving-post, wp-settings-, wp-settings-time-

Performance

google analytic

__utma,__utmb,__utmc,__utmz,_ga,_gid,_gat

Advertising