Home / Topic / Show/Hide

Show/Hide

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • tradexcel12
    Participant

I constantly become confused on how to do something that I know is simple. Hoping someone can help me wrap my head around this.I want something to be hidden when the page opens. Then, after a certain amount of time has passed, I want to show this object and perform an action on it. If it's a linear action - I want it to fade out of sight at the end of the action. If it is another type of action I want it to hide itself when the action is complete.What is the easiest way to do this? And on a linear action do I set the alpha to 0? (this works when I'm not hiding it when the page opens)

lizochka_simova
    Participant

Can you do it with timers and actions? Set object as hidden.Create an action to "show" object.Set timer to perform that action (show object) after the desired time.Create action for the object fade (i.e.: hide over the desired length of time)Create the linear action and select the fading action in the bottom of box:  "Play Audio and/or Action when complete"I don't know what other action you have in mind, but it seems you could create another "hide" action with a short duration, and either have it "Play on completion" or put it on a timer within an action that includes the action the object will be doing. That's what I'd try anyway.

tradexcel12
    Participant

Yeah that seemed logical to me too so I was trying that and variations of it but the object didn't want to show itself when I applied an action after it's timer set it to show. Something stupid I'm doing I”m sure.What I've been doing instead is using a transparent layer and switching it to the hidden object and that works. It just annoys me that I don't seem to understand how to use show/hide, timers and actions correctly.

Anonymous

A common error (don't know if this is the case here), for example is to have an object animating for 2 seconds (blinking for example) that you want to keep repeating every 2 seconds. So, you set both animation and timer to 2. However the correct should be to set the timer to 2.1 (or the animation), to avoid conflicts of both timers (a delay on an animation at the end is a timer) triggering at the same time and confusing each other.

tradexcel12
    Participant

Hmmm yes that is something I have done. Repeatedly I might add.

lizochka_simova
    Participant

Yep. That was a learn from experience one for me, too.

Anonymous

I will probably write a tutorial about it one of these days…

lizochka_simova
    Participant

So many tutorials…so little time. 😉

tradexcel12
    Participant

Yes but I have now gone 5 days without hitting a tutorial OR having any errors! That is a record for me and makes me a very happy camper. LMAO

tradexcel12
    Participant

Yup the timer and animation setting to the same duration was the issue. Thank you soooo much Alex! I will end up with a somewhat involved animation sequence that will weigh in at about 50K versus the 3+ MB video that was my only alternative. I need a tshirt that says “I LOVE Kwik!” LMAO

lizochka_simova
    Participant

I need a tshirt that says "I LOVE Kwik!"

Me, too, Karen!!

Anonymous

I promise you both to send one soon 🙂

tradexcel12
    Participant

This is probably a really silly question, but if I have a layer hidden, and then I perform an action or animation on it, does that automatically show it? I seem to have stumbled into that – I hide a layer, then do a linear animation with my delay after page opening set up in the animation and that layer shows and performs as I want it to. Is this true? If so can I safely remove the timers for the show/hide action and the show/hide action itself?

lizochka_simova
    Participant

Ha! Your “silly question” has led me to a neat discovery!  I stumbled onto the same thing when I tried to use a linear animation to move an object while it was hidden. As it moved it faded into view.  Remembering that I just did an experiment. If I hide an object, then give a linear animation and set the alpha to 2 it moves but stays invisible. Then I can unhide it in it's new location!  Cool!Keep asking those questions, Karen! ;D

Anonymous

Can you please create an “advanced class on how to use Kwik”? You know better than me the tricks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Preference Center

Strictly Necessary

these coolies are for WP-SpamShield, gdpr-wp, woocommerce, paypal

PHPSESSID, SJECT16, JCS_INENREF, JCS_INENTIM, gdpr, woocommerce_cart_hash, woocommerce_items_in_cart, woocommerce_recently_viewed, wordpress_, wordpress_logged_in_, wordpress_sec_, wordpress_test_cookie, wp_woocommerce_session_, AKDC, akavpau_ppsd

Functionality

WordPress cookie created when auto-saving a post in the editor.

wp-saving-post, wp-settings-, wp-settings-time-

Performance

google analytic

__utma,__utmb,__utmc,__utmz,_ga,_gid,_gat

Advertising