Home / Topic / no full screen on iPhones 5, 5s, 6 and 6+

no full screen on iPhones 5, 5s, 6 and 6+

Home Kwiksher Forums Kwik 3 Bugs no full screen on iPhones 5, 5s, 6 and 6+

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Odisej
    Participant

Hi, my app has black bars on the left and right in landscape view on all the phones above (ok on iPads, iPhones 4 and 4s). My scale setting is “even”. I know this issue has appeared here last year, but I didn’t have those problems before. Can anyone please confirm the same problem or am I doing something wrong – except I get the same scale problem if i do new one page trial app with no animation. Thanks!

Jorge
    Participant

Our apps are 4:3 (iPAD). However, we incorporate two images on each side (we are still testing it) to replace the black bars.When we test it in Galaxy our bars appear correctly. However in iPhone 6 the bars appear somewhat (about half of it) cut vertically.

Jorge
    Participant

Furthermore, it works well in the Corona Simulator on iPhone, 5, 6 and 6+. Galaxy tablet and phones it is also fine. However, in testing in a physical iPhone 6 our side bars (images) are cut.

Odisej
    Participant

Thanks, Jorge
    with simple kwik setting “even” (corona “zoomEven”) the app should be displayed through the whole screen – zoomed in so that top and bottom are cut. It used to work ok, but now it doesn’t for some reason. At least not for me. I am not sure how you manage inserting two additional images on each side, but I guess it’s time consuming and the result might be off.
    “even” setting works great on simulator and actually it also works on android devices as much as I was able to test.

Jorge
    Participant

We have some problems with “even”, Odisej; it distorts round images (which we use regularly – moons, sun, etc.) in an unacceptable way. Inserting two images on both sides is not a big problem, and I have managed to do it with two .jpgs (shared assets). It would be fantastic if Nayoa could create a cover page, a sort of “on top page”, which could be used in “all” pages, but designed once (this could include page turn/back/navigation, side bars and other common assets). I like the two side images, but the solution is debatable – my daughter (my partner) seems not to like it!
    One question: how does your default page appears in the different aspect ratio devices? Does it fully occupy the various screens’ Does it distorts?

Odisej
    Participant

yes, I don’t like distortion either, so I use “even” instead of “Stretch”. There is no distortion on “even” – all the images are scaled (zoomed) proportionally. There is also no distortion on “letterbox” – if you have wider images then iPad maybe that is a good option. I haven’t tried it on device yet though.

Jorge
    Participant

Sorry, I have noticed my mistake, but you have been very quick. “even” does not distort, indeed. Our illustrations have been produced a while ago and were on a 4:3 aspect ratio, since we were primarily targeting iPad’s. So, “even” was a bit complicated for us and “stretch” was not an option for the reasons earlier explained. We have been using images with 2048×1536 (264 dpi). Everything looks very nicely on the key devices, but with letterboxes. The idea is to find an elegant (nice, not distracting and coherent with the overall design) solution to replace the letterbox. What do you mean with “if you have wider images then iPad…”? What are the specifications of the images you use – resolutions, dpi?

Odisej
    Participant

well, I’ve used same iPad retina resolution so far and scale “even” – I have positioned all buttons and text within the height of the iPhone, so they don’t get cut on phones (approx. 200px from top and 200px from bottom is cut with scale even on iPhones 5 and on if you use 2048×1536). But as I said, I am having trouble with full screen on iPhone 5 and on with this scale now.

Odisej
    Participant

Just to let everyone know – i have tried “letterbox” setting on iPhone 5s and 6 with a brand new test app and I also get the black bars left and right on iPhones. So it’s not “even” only issue. Like “even”, “letterbox” works fine in Corona simulator. I use Corona Version 2015.2646 (2015.5.27), but I have previously tried older versions. Since there are no new complaints on Corona forum I believe it is a Kwik issue – I apologize if I am too quick to judge, of course it might still all be my fault as there is only Jorge here with similar problem. I would love to resolve this anyhow as not a full screen app on majority iPhones just isn’t the same user experience. Thanks to everyone that might help with this.

Yamamoto
    Keymaster

I will check the behaviour with Even and let you know the result.

NO FULL SCREEN ON IPHONES 5, 5S, 6 AND 6+

>my app has black bars on the left and right in landscape view on all the phones above (ok on iPads, iPhones 4 and 4s). My scale setting is “even”.

>with simple kwik setting “even” (corona “zoomEven”) the app should be displayed through the whole screen – zoomed in so that top and bottom are cut. It used to work ok, but now it doesn’t for some reason.

>“even” setting works great on simulator and actually it also works on android devices as much as I was able to test.

> I’ve used same iPad retina resolution so far and scale “even” – I have positioned all buttons and text within the height of the iPhone, so they don’t get cut on phones (approx. 200px from top and 200px from bottom is cut with scale even on iPhones 5 and on if you use 2048×1536)

=>
    I understand that iPad retina kwik project with Even is not working on iPhone5, 5S and 6+.

Jorge
    Participant

Thanks Nayoa,
    Please note (see above details) that Letterbox with left bars created on my own are cut on iPhone 6 by about half vertically. I have not tested in any other device for the time being. In the Simulator everything looks perfect.

Odisej
    Participant

I am looking forward to your feedback Yamamoto. I am not sure how Jorge is doing it, but with my testing “letterbox” is not full screen on iPhone 5s also. Even with wider background image, that gives me great view on simulator.

From what I read in Corona forum the 800×1200 pix and double that are now best practice for building universal apps. See config.lua code bellow. I think it would be great (and maybe it’s time) if we could build in Kwik with the same imageSuffix and config files as corona uses. That is the only way we could run our projects with corona cards. Meaning you could have one app with many individual kwik made books etc. I know that way you should prepare images before you build and maybe it would complicate things a little but total sync with Corona would be worth it in my opinion.

— config.lua

–calculate the aspect ratio of the device
    local aspectRatio = display.pixelHeight / display.pixelWidth
    application = {
    content = {
    width = aspectRatio > 1.5 and 800 or math.ceil( 1200 / aspectRatio ),
    height = aspectRatio < 1.5 and 1200 or math.ceil( 800 * aspectRatio ),
    scale = “letterBox”,
    fps = 30,

imageSuffix = {
    [“@2x”] = 1.3,
    },
    },
    }

print(aspectRatio, application.content.width, application.content.height )

Yamamoto
    Keymaster

I tested Even for New Universal, iPad Air, iPad Air only projects. For All the cases, black bars on the left and right are not appeared. Even is working with iPhone5, 5S, 6 AND 6+ on corona simulator.

is config.lua published from kwik updated when you tested?

P.S. the suggested config.lua and working with corona cards are good idea. I will look into them next month.

Odisej
    Participant

Did you try only on Simulator or on devices? In my cases on simulator is always ok, but I get bars on iphone 5s. I have rechecked iPhone 6 and it’s ok. So it seems only iPhone 5s is a problem. I didn’t check on 5 though.

Peakman
    Participant

I had this problem too and found it has something to do with the build setting file.

One of the version upgrade of Kwik started to put those code for launch images for iPhone devices, and I suspect that’s to tell the relative device to look up specific launch images, and assign resolution/aspect ratio accordingly…

My temporary solution is remove those lines of code from the build setting file, and the aspect ratio will be fine on device again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Preference Center

Strictly Necessary

these coolies are for WP-SpamShield, gdpr-wp, woocommerce, paypal

PHPSESSID, SJECT16, JCS_INENREF, JCS_INENTIM, gdpr, woocommerce_cart_hash, woocommerce_items_in_cart, woocommerce_recently_viewed, wordpress_, wordpress_logged_in_, wordpress_sec_, wordpress_test_cookie, wp_woocommerce_session_, AKDC, akavpau_ppsd

Functionality

WordPress cookie created when auto-saving a post in the editor.

wp-saving-post, wp-settings-, wp-settings-time-

Performance

google analytic

__utma,__utmb,__utmc,__utmz,_ga,_gid,_gat

Advertising