Home / Topic / Marketing Our Apps Through Community Effort

Marketing Our Apps Through Community Effort

Home Kwiksher Forums Marketing your app Marketing Our Apps Through Community Effort

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

Dear Kwik Developers, My name is Benjamin Chong. I'm the developer behind The Dream by Swipea, a kids educational app for iOS (http://www.kwiksher.com/work/the-dream-world-explorer-edition/). Firstly, i feel proud to have developed my own kids app and with Kwik's help, it has made it possible considering i'm not a coder, fun and time saving. I think in general, Kwik made it simple and time saving, and time is money. I try my best to look at every new apps being developed using Kwik and my apologies i don't mean to pry; i also spend time studying how some of these apps are performing in the app store from the available stats i can find on Appannie.com. We're a two man team here, and this is our full time job 🙂 We love it, but sometimes it takes a lot of self motivation to keep on doing this with the little revenue we're making on the App Store. I'll be straight to the point, I'm starting this topic to gather interest, brainstorm and come up with actionable ideas on how we could cross promote our apps together as a community. I'll leave this open to anyone who is interested for now...If you would like to talk to me on a more personal level, i'm available at ben [at] gamebit-labs dot com. Ben

jso
    Participant

Do you make your apps for the Kindle Fire? For me, the Fire was an after thought because I didn't think it had any demand, but I've sold 1100 copies of my Kindle Fre app in less than 6 months. I didn't think I would sell any to be honest, but the market surprised me.

Yes, i'm working on the Kindle Fire version at the moment. I'll talk to you on a more personal note. Any thoughts on the topic at hand? Ben

tradexcel12
    Participant

I'm an SEO/SEM worker by trade and please forgive me if this comes out wrong, but most of the app people I see on various forums are not marketing their apps. Just like the Amazon Kindle books, if you are an author or a developer, you can't just toss your product in the store and trust Amazon or Google Play or Apple Apps to sell it for you. If that's all the marketing you do your sales will not be very good. You need to get the word out yourself to your target audience through traditional online marketing channels. Does your devel company AND your game or book title have a Facebook page?Does it have a website?Does it have a blog?Does it have a dedicated YouTube channel?Does it have a Twitter account?Do you have an email list of prospective buyers?Did you send review copies to appropriate review sites BEFORE release as well as after?Did you build the buzz prior to release?Is your game or book description well written and keyword rich?Did you do a press release on your game or book?Can you be found on the first page of Google's organic search for terms that match your product?In general you need to do 2 hours of promotion/marketing for every one hour you spend developing your product to build the buzz and the sales. You will hit the "new" category of course when you publish but with so many apps hitting the shelves you might last about 30 seconds on that list. So you must be sure you are in the right category and then work towards hitting the top of other lists to have solid sales. The market for iOS apps is huge, much bigger than for Android devices (most recent numbers show Apple with about a 75% share of all tablet devices sold), but the Apple competition is brutal - many more apps for Apple than for Android at the moment. The last consideration is where are you headed? Are you a one trick pony or do you have the next game or book already under development? Kwiksher is incredibly useful for building an app business. For example - we're working on a book series. We will not release the first book until we have 3-5 others "in the can". Thus we can take advantage of the buying cycle - as soon as the first book starts to lose it's luster, we will publish the second one - whether that's 2 weeks or 2 months. Thus we will remain in fron of our target audience and constantly ride the wave. Think about it like this - in the non app world, a game is released and really hits big. But you normally have to wait many months, even years for the sequel. If you liked the first game of course you'll buy the second one, but think about all the games the customers have played in between the release of game 1 and game 2. If you can take advantage of the popularity of game 1 and cut the release time down you'll make more sales because the warm fuzzy feeling your customers got from playing game 1 is still front and center in their mind. If all you want to do is build out one or two apps, you can make some pocket change and probably break even without a marketing campaign, but if you are building a franchise which is where the real money is, you need to think about marketing before you ever write your first line of code or open Kwik the first time.There are three people in our tiny empire in the making - a graphics person, a programming person and a marketing person. All three are equal value and the company can not succeed without any one of them.

KarenD, thanks for sharing the marketing checklist. Maybe you could create a new topic in the forum on this. I have some experiences to share and i find execution more difficult and results seem daunting. Any thoughts on the topic at hand? Ben

Anonymous

Loving this thread. Really glad the Kwik community starts to help each other with “Alex's finger”. 🙂I honestly believe you have much more to teach me, and others, in the marketing/promotion business. I will try to expand the reach here, inviting "others" from other forums.Keep doing the great job!Alex

Thanks Alex for the support. After giving it some thought, what KarenD listed is relevant: 1. Is a common website for reviewing Kwik Apps helpful? This site could host a common blog, youtube channel and other social media accounts2. A page on our apps to cross promote other developer apps (pooling similar genre), including affiliate links etc3. Do joint press releases4. Share dbase of app review websites and contact info. Ben.

corinawomble
    Participant

Hello there,my journey with kwik started while doing my main work in the seo channels, i was looking for a way to get my apps - books out asap and use all my seo technics to gain more sales... unlike Google search and optimisation on the app store all is hidden so all is left to do is to test and trial...using my seo skills lead me and other i support for good results so far. i'm working at the moment on a Book Apps review site - which i thought to make global - so i can get as many publisher as posible, but saying that - i DON'T mind dedicating it to the kwik "family" - as Karen said there is ton of work on each app and if you are a one man show - then you will need to hire some one to handle the marketing be sure it will be worth it in the long run.i'm very opened mind for questions and Jv's for all that is related to this subject.Moshe.

corinawomble
    Participant

BTW – @gamebit.labsyou have some bug when coming back to your app(the free version for ipad) using the multitasking - it will cross 2 audio files in one time...Moshe.

tradexcel12
    Participant

Good thoughts in this thread! There are many review sites for apps, especially games. Too many to realistically post to all of them. If you are looking for the best ones, either book or game, filter first by genre. It makes no sense to have a casual game review site look at your super great RPG. Then look at the traffic for the review site - Alexa is pretty good for that info. Post to the highest ranked sites you can find.A site dedicated to Kwik apps should be categorized, matching the categories from the App stores as closely as possible for the SEO "juice". It should follow Ben's suggestions - those are dead on.When you look at YouTube or the App store or Amazon, remember they are in fact a search engine. The discovery process on any app store site or YouTube or even facebook is exactly the same as optimizing for Google, only the categories and keyterms might change a bit. Just like Google, page titles and descriptions are essential to that process. So when you post to any review site, directory, forum, YouTube, FaceBook, or blog be sure you're using the right key terms to attract your audience in your subject/title and app description.From Kwik's standpoint a review site or directory would be a great sales tool. Anyone coming to Kwik probably already has an idea of the app they want to create in their mind. Seeing another finished app that is similar to their idea would be a strong selling point for Kwik. Tying it in to a dedicated YouTube channel is pure gold - YT is the first or second largest search engine in the world depending on what month it is. So for discovery purposes it's pretty essential. A JV network is an interesting idea and one that I have seen work very well in and out of the App world. In app ads for similar products often yield good sales numbers. Just my two cents and probably worth half of that. LOL

Anonymous

This is the idea for the new Kwik Made section (for the launch I just moved the a few interviews but the idea is to allow ALL Kwik users to enter info to showcase their products).

BTW - @gamebit.labsyou have some bug when coming back to your app(the free version for ipad) using the multitasking - it will cross 2 audio files in one time...Moshe.

Can you tell me where this happens? I would appreciate it if you can drop me some details to ben [at] gamebit-labs dot comBen.

Hello there,my journey with kwik started while doing my main work in the seo channels, i was looking for a way to get my apps - books out asap and use all my seo technics to gain more sales... unlike Google search and optimisation on the app store all is hidden so all is left to do is to test and trial...using my seo skills lead me and other i support for good results so far. i'm working at the moment on a Book Apps review site - which i thought to make global - so i can get as many publisher as posible, but saying that - i DON'T mind dedicating it to the kwik "family" - as Karen said there is ton of work on each app and if you are a one man show - then you will need to hire some one to handle the marketing be sure it will be worth it in the long run.i'm very opened mind for questions and Jv's for all that is related to this subject.Moshe.

Moshe, i have similar thoughts, but a review site on edu kids apps. I would love to explore this idea in detail with you, and if we review only Kwik apps, we have a lot going for this site and support from Kwik developers especially. A big question i have in my mind, how can we improve the design of a typical app review site to create better app discovery for each app reviewed? i've seen a wordpress plugin called linkwithin, which works like how app store cross sells other apps when you look at one. Ben.

This is the idea for the new Kwik Made section (for the launch I just moved the a few interviews but the idea is to allow ALL Kwik users to enter info to showcase their products).

Sounds great Alex...Ben

Any one interested to cross promote your kids educational app with The Dream? I'm looking at creating a page on my app where i would promote 4 to 6 apps...with pictures, brief info and app link. Ben.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Preference Center

Strictly Necessary

these coolies are for WP-SpamShield, gdpr-wp, woocommerce, paypal

PHPSESSID, SJECT16, JCS_INENREF, JCS_INENTIM, gdpr, woocommerce_cart_hash, woocommerce_items_in_cart, woocommerce_recently_viewed, wordpress_, wordpress_logged_in_, wordpress_sec_, wordpress_test_cookie, wp_woocommerce_session_, AKDC, akavpau_ppsd

Functionality

WordPress cookie created when auto-saving a post in the editor.

wp-saving-post, wp-settings-, wp-settings-time-

Performance

google analytic

__utma,__utmb,__utmc,__utmz,_ga,_gid,_gat

Advertising