Home / Topic / Global light + Layers inside groups

Global light + Layers inside groups

Home Kwiksher Forums Kwik 3 Bugs Global light + Layers inside groups

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • v1p_kokorin
    Participant

Hello guys.I have redesigned one of my apps for iOS7 and published it with Kwik Next. Overall, my experience was great. I love the colour coding of the buttons, and being able to select multiple actions from the list.I do have a couple of things to report. There is a big bug in the way Kwik handles Global Light. In the case of my app. I rely heavily on Global Light (GL) to save time in projects and to set a standard for lighting conditions. The default setting when you disable GL in a layer is 120 degrees. It seems like at the time of publishing, kwik removes GL and in the process, it automatically sets the light angle to 120 degrees (the default). This is quite bothersome since it means I have to go through 40 pages and manually adjust the lighting angles of each and every one of my layers. I would really love for this to change. It would be nice to just being able to render things the way they look (and were designed by the author). Any chance this could be fixed?Another issue that I noticed was Kwik automatically turning on layers inside groups, at the time of publishing. Alex, could you explain a bit why that is? Can it be modified to only render layers that are on?Thanks!

Anonymous

Mike, you will probably not believe but I am not a Photoshop heavy user. I have no idea what you mean by Global Light!  ???Searching the web, I found out that the all layers in the document has the same Global Light setting (default is 120). Is it true?Also, according the Photoshop development documentation, it seems the access to (re)write this parameter is non-existent (meaning I can read it but not update it). I am still digging on this.Regarding layers inside groups, as you may have noticed, the processing of groups takes MUCH longer than regular layers. Several tests showed me that users cannot afford to wait the processing time of reading each layer inside a group before exporting it - this is the reason Kwik simply flatten everything inside the group as a single image.

v1p_kokorin
    Participant

Haha. Well, in a nutshell Global Light is a setting you can specify in the layer blending options window. You'll see it in places like drop shadow, or inner shadow. So I go ahead and move the lighting angle to, say, 90 degrees, and I leave the GL box checked (so it applies to all elements that are using GL). This sets the GL value for that specific file as a global variable, per se. So what happens is that when Kwik exports it, this information is not being passed, so when the GL is removed, the default is 120 degrees. So for example, let's say I have a button with a shadow that extends 30 pixels bellow the button. The shadow it at 90 degrees (so the only "padding" in the button happens below (where the shadow resides). When I export the page, the GL gets removed, and the shadow appears on the lower-right side of the of the button, but Kwik already detected that the shadow should've been right below the button (not to the right), so the right side of the shadow is now cut off. Anyway, that's beside the point. But yeah, I'm surprised no one else has noticed this. This becomes very important when styling buttons and other UI objects.I'll do some testing and see if there's a setting I can change to lock the default lighting to 90 degrees for when the global light gets turned off by Kwik. Let me know if you find out anything else.Thanks!

v1p_kokorin
    Participant

Oh, and thanks for the tip about the groups. I'll just have to delete any layers that I've turned off.

Anonymous

Not a prob. I was playing with GL here and it seems you only need to set it to one layer in the document and all of other layers will follow the new number (menu Layer->Layer Style->Global Light…).If I find a way to read yours original (which I know how to do already) and set it back after exporting, I will add it for sure in the upcoming releases.By the way, just to confirm, this happens only when you export with images, right?

v1p_kokorin
    Participant

Thank you thank you!!! I would really appreciate it if you could add this feature. The thing is that I keep my projects raw, meaning I don't flatten my images or groups before exporting…because well, it's dangerous, and it's time and disk-space consuming. The idea would be that when Kwik copies the layer to a new layer (in the publishing process) that it would read the current global light, or at least detect if the layer uses global light and then copy the global light value (and boolean) to the new layer being created by Kwik during the export process.That would be a time saver for sure!Thanks Alex

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Preference Center

Strictly Necessary

these coolies are for WP-SpamShield, gdpr-wp, woocommerce, paypal

PHPSESSID, SJECT16, JCS_INENREF, JCS_INENTIM, gdpr, woocommerce_cart_hash, woocommerce_items_in_cart, woocommerce_recently_viewed, wordpress_, wordpress_logged_in_, wordpress_sec_, wordpress_test_cookie, wp_woocommerce_session_, AKDC, akavpau_ppsd

Functionality

WordPress cookie created when auto-saving a post in the editor.

wp-saving-post, wp-settings-, wp-settings-time-

Performance

google analytic

__utma,__utmb,__utmc,__utmz,_ga,_gid,_gat

Advertising