Home / Topic / Don’t ignore Android

Don’t ignore Android

Home Kwiksher Forums Marketing your app Don’t ignore Android

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • tradexcel12
    Participant

The Android market is coming on strong. Got a client app into Google Play and Amazon last month and it has now done more than double the sales it had in the iOS market. That was in the productivity category. Even better results from an Android release in the game category. The Android apps seem to hold their position better than they do in the Apple outlets, too. I know 2 apps is a pretty small sample, and all the talking heads comment on the huge market share Apple has, but that could be changing quickly.

sngjenshvuh
    Participant

My experience with Android hasn't been anything to write home about unfortunately. I get roughly 1 download per 200 iTunes downloads! Although I'm yet to try Amazon for Android. How are you finding the Google Play to Amazon ratio KarenD?

Anonymous

Just read this report (it is about game thou): http://games.greggman.com/game/android-vs-ios-game-myths/Would love to have a similar one for storybook apps...

tradexcel12
    Participant

While I can't quote specific numbers due to confidentiality agreements, the article you posted Alex was right in line with my client's results. They were featured in iOS on several lists, included best new in 2 cats, and developers pick. They released on iOS first, Android months later. They were not impressed with their iOS downloads or in game purchases. (they are a freenium model) Android literally blew them away with the response and they weren't even featured at first! Downloads are about 10 to 1 Google over iTunes. And individual inapp purchases are closer to 50:1! To me that's an interesting stat. The players are not only buying more “things” in game they are also buying more of the top of the line “things” on Google than on Apple. Tanya - Book apps seem to do better for Android on Amazon. They are somewhat lackluster on Google Play for the two clients I have doing those, and Amazon is outselling Google Play by about 50:1. These are not kids apps, they are business books apps, and one is a pot growing how to. LOL I have heard, but can't substantiate, that kids apps do better on Amazon than on Google Play. However Amazon seems to suck snake eggs for game apps. I haven't seen any up to date reports from the major app data watchers, but those could come out next month after quarter end. Perhaps there will be some hard numbers we can look at by category when that happens.Please remember this is a very small sample I'm using here. Your mileage will vary!

sngjenshvuh
    Participant

Good to know. My next couple of apps are photography related interactive ebook style genres. I already have a photography app that has sold well over the last 5 years, I think for the most part because I advertise it from my high traffic website and facebook followers. Will definitely be signing up for Amazon Android. Last time I looked it was closed to Australians but notice its now good to go  😀

tradexcel12
    Participant

I don't buy apps on Amazon, including plain old eBooks. I use Google because they format things better. But I doubt many buyers notice that. I think they have become used to buying books and movies on Amazon so they stick with them. Glad Amazon is letting in other countries – I always hated that sort of exclusion. Another reason your book sells well could be that your locales and photography are absolutely stunning.

Anonymous
    tradexcel12
    Participant

Interesting! At least I'm within norm on devel time. LOL I wish they had broken this out by games and then at least all other cats lumped together. What happens in the game community is often far different than the results in other categories. When was the last time you saw a freemium kids book? LOL But good info anyway. Thanks Alex.

sngjenshvuh
    Participant

When was the last time you saw a freemium kids book?

All the time! They annoy the hell out of me with spamming tactics. I presume it works as far as downloads go, but sooner or later people will wake up and realise they need to pay at least a couple of dollars for quality.

sngjenshvuh
    Participant

pay at least a couple of dollars for quality

Just re-read what I said! Imagine going into a toy shop and paying a couple of dollars for quality? Yes folks, that only happens in the app world  😮

tradexcel12
    Participant

Seriously??? Wow, I can not imagine parental units being happy about that! I thought no one did that any more because of the horrible backlash from parents. I think it was a Smurfs app that made headlines for making parents angry over unexpected charges.

stacy.castillo
    Participant

Very nice links Alex! I was losing faith in the Android market.

lizochka_simova
    Participant

This is all a big puzzle!  I released three apps this week, one free, two $1.99 each.  Downloads have been disappointing, but interesting. Very few sales so far.  Only 9 on amazon for the free app, 14 on Google, but 300+ on Nook and 500+ on iTunes.  Does anyone know how an app is selected for iTunes Kids category?  That would make them so much more discoverable.Time to get going on another app. I believe in what I'm doing and think at this point getting a body of good work out there is my best option.

tradexcel12
    Participant

HI Anna – the nook surprises me! If you read the “smart marketers” stuff they say Nook is dead. Sure doesn't look like it.Apple apparently uses editors to decide what gets into kids category and what doesn't much like they pick featured inclusions. It appeared, when they announced it, that they had created a new category, which you had to meet certain criteria to get into. If you meet that criteria, you should be put into that category IMO. Hang tough, it's become a marketing game for discovery and that's a lot of work! There are so many apps out there that it appears you need to be mentioned favorably elsewhere (review sites and such) to get in front of your audience. There is a new wrinkle on the age old banner exchange that might help. Tapit is a big player in these ad exchange companies and if you have the offers behind a parent gate you should be ok with the stores and it might help discovery. Facebook and YouTube are a must. Not sure about Twitter - I don't believe our kids moms audience is hanging there. If you do games aimed at the teen and 20's crowd, go to the places they hang - not Facebook so much. Since moms and grandmoms are on FB in such huge numbers, the younger crowd has gone elsewhere. Check out Pinterest too - huge audience and many of them are parents and grandparents.Check out Mommy Blogs too. And homeschoolers. Homeschoolers are GOLD, love those people. If you start posting to some of those and use your url for your web page or your store page in your signature that can help.In other words, if you submit it they will not come unless the proper offerings have been made to the Apple and Google gods. Get a coveted "featured" spot and you can hit the app lottery. Otherwise you have to be "discovered" away from the app store to make sales ON the app store. Here's a good article on various marketing techniques http://appdevelopermagazine.com/802/2013/10/23/App-Marketing-Done-Right:-How-to-Market-Your-App-in-Today/#.UmvliJRgYg1If it's any consolation, a game company I know was featured by Apple, had hundreds of thousands of players who were all notified that the game was going mobile through multiple marketing channels, had in game events for the launch, and while we kids app folks would love to have their numbers, the downloads and in game purchases were still disappointing. However, over the course of several months, they slowly ramped up and are now hitting their download and financial goals. I think if you follow the course you have laid out, building a body of good work, you will succeed. No matter what the marketing sharks tell you while trying to get you to pay for their courses on how to sell your apps, this is a hard road and not for the faint of heart. If you believe in what you're doing, and can't wait to get out of bed every morning to start putting those words and characters into motion on your pages, hang in there. Remember too that this is still a very young industry. There will be many changes and some of those will be good for app discovery while others will raise the bar even more. You're in this at the right time. Five years from now the landscape will be totally different, but just like when the net was in it's infancy, those who stick it out and keep adding new and better products will take home the bacon. Those who give up will never have the new Laborghini sitting in their driveway.

lizochka_simova
    Participant

Thanks, Karen.  That's all great information.  My first app got excellent reviews from some of the most active review sites,  the Beans have been submitted to them, and I have an email relationship with a couple of the reviewers.  I'm opting not to pay for expedited reviews though, because since I've already launched timing doesn't seem that important.  The apps aren't going to evaporate like o/p paper books!!  When the audience is found, the apps will still be there. I'll definitely check some more of your suggestions.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Preference Center

Strictly Necessary

these coolies are for WP-SpamShield, gdpr-wp, woocommerce, paypal

PHPSESSID, SJECT16, JCS_INENREF, JCS_INENTIM, gdpr, woocommerce_cart_hash, woocommerce_items_in_cart, woocommerce_recently_viewed, wordpress_, wordpress_logged_in_, wordpress_sec_, wordpress_test_cookie, wp_woocommerce_session_, AKDC, akavpau_ppsd

Functionality

WordPress cookie created when auto-saving a post in the editor.

wp-saving-post, wp-settings-, wp-settings-time-

Performance

google analytic

__utma,__utmb,__utmc,__utmz,_ga,_gid,_gat

Advertising