Home / Topic / Dialogue Boxes – 1 to the next etc.

Dialogue Boxes – 1 to the next etc.

Home Kwiksher Forums Tutorial Suggestions Dialogue Boxes – 1 to the next etc.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anonymous

I'm trying to figure out the best way to have a series of back and forth dialogue in a scene/page without having to go from page to another page and so on.In other words, I have a Chat bubble appear, when its clicked, it disappears and the next chat bubble appears, and so on until the story for that page has finished. Is this possible?

Anonymous

Yes it is, and seems to be an easy thing to do with the basics of buttons and show/hide interactions. Lets say you have 3 bubbles in layers A, B and C. Hide layers B and C (only A will appear with your page). Set a button in layer A that will Hide layer A and Show layer B. Set a button in layer B that hides layer B and Show layer C. Simple as that.

Anonymous

I got my license for Kwik today! Yaay!So, is it better/easier to have your dialogue in chat bubbles in merged layers or some other kind of text?What is the best font size to use to keep it legible on all platforms?Is there such as thing as too much dialogue? My ibook is really as much about the story and message as it is the artwork and such so I'm trying to figure out the best way to include the full story and back and forth dialogue without leaving too much out but it's bogging down my ability to think it through properly.Finally, is it better to have the page animations and such done first before the dialogue or the dialogue first?Thank you!

tradexcel12
    Participant

I too use a lot of text, as my story is the important part and the images and animations merely an enhancement of the story. (I write for older readers, this approach may not be correct for pre schoolers)If you merge your text with the chat bubble it will become an image and then placement is assured to be exactly what you set up. Some devices have some issues  with text and Adobe also sometimes has a bug on text size where it resizes your text - VERY annoying!Check your font size in the simulator - if it looks good there, it's good on the device. There is no perfect size. The resolution is so good on devices that even very tiny text is legible. Unless you're old like me, and then you just take your glasses off and squint a little and it works. LOLThe amount of text and available space often determines text size. But try to be consistent throughout your pages. In other words, if you use 36 on three pages, don't suddenly go to 48 just because you have more room. It's bad for the readers. But if you have more text on one page than another, it's ok to drop that page down a few points so it all fits nicely.You need to use as much dialog as it takes to tell your story. No more, no less. Same with the length of your book - it should be as long as it needs to be to tell your story. There is no magic number.I find I set up everything on a page including the text and dialog before adding animations. For me, it's easier to figure out what I want to do with animations and effects when I"m looking at a completed page. But this would be your choice - whatever follows your thought process will work best for you.One word of advice - actually two. Use a story board of some sort - paper and pencil works, spreadsheets work, pdf's work. In other words, plan your pages on paper first, even it's just to put the text and a general image idea there. Add some ideas about animations - they will probably change as you go, but at least you will have some idea of what to do on each page and get a feel for the entire book.Second, on your first one, break it into little pieces. Get one part of one page working the way you want, then move on to the next part until that page is done. Then go to the next page, rinse and repeat. Using story boards and doing things in small increments will keep you moving forward without feeling overwhelmed. And will let you work faster since you have a road map and are building on what you learned the day before.Best of luck on your book!

Anonymous

So I have all of my text chat box layers ready and I wanted to test out the first intro box, touching it and then showing the first chat dialogue box, but when I publish, it shows all of the layers even though they are hidden in photoshop.

Anonymous

Use Kwik's Hide Layer feature to set them properly in the final code.

Anonymous

woot woot! Thank you. Exactly what I needed to figure out.This should be a good thread for people trying to do what I am.Awesome!

Anonymous

Ergh, so I have the intro box showing the first dialogue box when someone taps it, then it goes away like its supposed to. Then I get all the way to the last dialogue box and I have it set so that when you push it, it just closes and doesn't open another one. But when I publish it, it opens up one of the other dialogue boxes in a loop.

Anonymous

I realized that one of the layers wasn't set to hide so it just stayed and when the rest of them were hidden, it was still there so it created a loop.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Preference Center

Strictly Necessary

these coolies are for WP-SpamShield, gdpr-wp, woocommerce, paypal

PHPSESSID, SJECT16, JCS_INENREF, JCS_INENTIM, gdpr, woocommerce_cart_hash, woocommerce_items_in_cart, woocommerce_recently_viewed, wordpress_, wordpress_logged_in_, wordpress_sec_, wordpress_test_cookie, wp_woocommerce_session_, AKDC, akavpau_ppsd

Functionality

WordPress cookie created when auto-saving a post in the editor.

wp-saving-post, wp-settings-, wp-settings-time-

Performance

google analytic

__utma,__utmb,__utmc,__utmz,_ga,_gid,_gat

Advertising