Digital App Development
Devices and Platforms(Operating System)
|Apple||Phone, iPad, TV, Mac|
|Phones, Tablet, TV|
Complexity means much time and cost to develop app, challenging is big but reward is great
Before you start self-service app publishing
- Have a clear view of what is your app about?
- Will you work alone or in a team?
- How much money are you planning to spend in the development?
- Are you planning marketing initiatives with your app?
- Free or Paid? Trial or In-App Purchase?
- iPhone/iPad only? Android devices? PC and Mac?
- Sketch the workflow of the entire project
- Plan a schedule and due dates for each task, set each commitment as outputs
Do a personal assessment?
- are you techie enough to learn and manage how to create your account and app settings at developer’s site of apple, google and amazon?
- can you install SDKs like xCode, Android Studio?
Option A - submitting your content to other’s app
|No technical skills required||Mostly available for story books|
|No upfront costs||Revenue share|
|No need of Mac for iOS publishing||No marketing control|
|No need of particular tools||No branding control|
|Faster to deliver||No code control|
Option Kwik - you create your own app
|Your can design app||Requires specialized tools|
|No revenue share except 30% collect from stores||Initial costs are high|
|Full control of your marketing||More complex to setup|
|Full control of your code|
|Full control of your brand|
- Everything is about story!
- Understanding your acts and plot points
- Be carefull about “classic” stories: why another one?
- Example: Amelia and the Terror of the Night
~~http://kwiksher.com/blog/2014/02/11/introducing-storyline-review/~~ no longer available
Icon and naming app
the most important assets
you can register the name of your app months before release it.
Everything is about ratings now. PR are OK, Reviews are nice, Ratings are MUST!
~~http://kwiksher.com/blog/2014/02/09/introducing-publishing-services/~~ no longer available
- Have a clear “persona” of your user?
- Age, gender, time of reading, devices etc
- “Persona” helps to sets art direction(mood) of illustrations and audio and difficulties of interactions and activities
- Your children apps can not have web links to external sites including yours.
- Your children apps are better not to have in-app purchase or Ads
- Parental page
- How are kid’s app developers communicating to parents
- Amazing illustrations but what are your weakness other than illustrating/drawing?
- Animations and interactive activities that enhance the experience?
- Professional narration and sound effects?
Avoiding “design on the fly”
- Traditional linear
- Non-linear: what defines the sequence?
- Game oriented: collect pieces and move accordingly
- Example: This Monster(linear), Stolen(mixed), Stranded(non-linear), Monsters VS Robots(linear-game oriented)
- Thumbnail each scene
- board each scene
- Each PSD is a scene.
- Shows intro animation
- Read to Me / I Read options
- Shows witch playing
- Witch is thinking
- Allow users to switch languages