Home / Topic / Virtual dice for board game rules/story book

Virtual dice for board game rules/story book

Home Kwiksher Forums General Discussion Virtual dice for board game rules/story book

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Matt
    Participant

I have a board game that I am in the process of self publishing. I want to use Kwiksher to create an interactive rules book app. That way I can tell the story/theme of the game along with the rules & faqs via the app.

Is there a way to create dice in Kwiksher? My game requires special dice and an app that would allow users to “roll” virtual dice would save me a ton on printing/production costs.

Administrator
    Keymaster

Natively Kwik does not offer any feature like the one you need. You will need to use external code to create your dice. Not a big deal but you will need to learn about random selection.

If you want to create something without ANY code, you should try something like this (never tested but I believe it will work):
    – for example, if your dice has 2 numbers (just to facilitate the example), you create the image for number 1 and image for number 2 (in different layers);
    – Hide both layers;
    – create an action and call it dice1 (for the number 1). Set it like this:
    1) Hide layer 2 (the one with image of dice 2)
    2) Show layer 1 (the one with image of dice 1)
    – do the same for the dice2
    – create another action and name it dice
    – use the option Play Random (then enter the actions dice 1 and dice 2)

in order to “play with the dice” you can create a button (or shake interaction) that calls the action dice (which will pick action dice1 or dice2)

hope it helps

DELIVERANCE98
    Participant

Hi, im intrested in a similar way to do it.
    I want to make a dice / card whatever of 8 or 10 posible outcomes, is it posible?
    should i follow some specific tutorial for that?
    Thank you.

Administrator
    Keymaster

there is no tutorial for that. you will need to use external code for that. For example, externally to Kwik, create a .txt or .lua file with the following code:

local dice = math.random(8)

the math.random above will find a number between 1 and 8 and will keep it in the variable called dice.

Then, create an action in Kwik and name it rollDice. Add the follwoing:

CODE add external code above
      CONDITION if dice EQUAL 1
      do whatever you want to do if the dice is 1
      CONDITION ELSE if dice EQUAL 2
      do whatever you want to do if the dice is 2
      repeat it until dice equals 8
      CONDITION END IF
    DELIVERANCE98
    Participant

Thank you Alex!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.