Home / Topic / Upload to app store

Upload to app store

Home Kwiksher Forums Help me! Upload to app store

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Jorge
    Participant

I have prepared an app in an Windows environment and I am now preparing things for ad hoc and app store distribution.
    I have a Mac with the latest versions of both Corona and Xcode.
    I can build for the device using a development provisioning profile.
    I have also created ad hoc and app store profiles and tried to build the app. Using either one or another, Corona creates a file. However, I was expecting to also see a .zip (or .ipa?) file, but no luck! As a result, a button with “Upload to app store with a message “Your app is ready for distribution” are not appearing. Instead, I get a message saying “Your application is ready to install on your device” (the same message as if I have used a development profile), and I can actually install the app on my iPAD.
    What am I missing or doing wrong in this process? I have created new provisioning profiles and believe they are correct, but…
    Help will be very much appreciated.

eric
    Participant

Glad you asked this, since I believe it is not addressed on any of these forums. I found it on either StackOverflow or Coronas forums.

Steps to upload to app store. This just changed after iOs8, and will change again Feb 2015. But as of now:
    FIRST MAKE SURE TO: go into your App’s build.settings folder and add your CFBundleShortVersionString = “1.0”,(or whatever version matches your app)

There is a section that looks like this:
    UIApplicationExitsOnSuspend = false,
    UIHiddenStatusBar=”YES”,
    CFBundleIconFile=”Icon.png”,
    CFBundleIconFiles = {

Add CFBundleShortVersionString = “1.1”, So it looks like this:

UIApplicationExitsOnSuspend = false,
    UIHiddenStatusBar=”YES”,
    CFBundleShortVersionString = “1.1”,
    CFBundleIconFile=”Icon.png”,
    CFBundleIconFiles = {

1. Build app in Corona with Distribution Certificate
    2. It will appear on your desktop as an icon with the same name as your app, but no extension
    3. Create an empty folder called Payload
    4. Drop app into Payload
    5. Right click folder and compress it
    6. It will now be named App.zip, change .zip to .ipa
    7. Use application loader and it will upload to the store. You WILL get a WARNING: Saying you need a 64-bit arm. Ignore it for now it is fine. But as long as your certs in apple are set you should be good to go. Sometimes at this point you will get errors but they are fairly easy to trouble shoot.

Why do it this way with the Payload folder…it’s stilly but it works and makes it an ipa.

Hope that helps

Jorge
    Participant

Many, many thanks.

I have spent so many hours over the weekend trying to figure it out. I came across with the Payload/zip/ipa trick but not with the piece of code to include in the build file.

I have already added:

CFBundleShortVersionString = “1.1”

in the place you have indicated above paying special attention to the ” sign.

Before I move forward I would like to check with a couple of things:
    -should I expect to see the a button with “Upload to app store with a message “Your app is ready for distribution””
    after pressing build in Corona? Or it will continue to be “Your application is ready to install on your device”
    -do I need to do something in iTunes? For now I would just like to put one app there and get it into my iPAD via iTunes (as if I was an outside tester) by using the ad hoc distribution. When I feel this is working fine I will get more testers.

I am tempted to still do it tonight (my time is now PM 10.15h), but I do not think this a good idea. I may end up spoiling my sleep!

Again, many thanks. I now feel much more confident and will let you know what happened.
    Have a nice day.

eric
    Participant

JOrge,

lets see:

In corona you will build it and it will say Your application is ready for distribution. I Click done, and then drop the app into my payload. I think I have tried doing it the other way but you need the payload file. Then I add it in the application loader.

And also make sure you add the CFBundleShortVersionString after your last build, but before you build it for the store in Corona. IF you add that line of code and then build it in Kwik it goes away.

Jorge
    Participant

Thank you.
    I have been awaiting this answer. My problem is that by doing exactly what you have indicated I do not get the message “Your application is ready for distribution”, but rather “Your application is ready to install on your device”. I have though made the Payload (or it must be payload?) thing but have not actually tried to upload the app, before receiving your reply.
    Is the message I get suggesting that I have something wrong with profiles (I have used a distribution ad hoc one). Or is there something I am missing?
    Is there any clue based on your large experience? Do you think that the new Corona version helps?
    Many thanks for the patience and cheers.
    Jorge

Anna Hines
    Participant

There are two types of provisioning profiles, one for distribution on devices (ad hoc) and the other for distribution to the App Store. You need to create a new profile and choose it when you build in Corona.
    So many tricky details! 😉

Anna Hines
    Participant

There are two types of provisioning profiles, one for distribution on devices (ad hoc) and the other for distribution to the App Store. You need to create a new profile and choose it when you build in Corona.
    So many tricky details! 😉

Jorge
    Participant

Trust me Anna. I have created (and re-created) provisioning profiles and certificates.
    I have used a Distribution Provisioning Profile app ABC _ad hoc to build the app in Corona, but got the wrong message as per above (“Your application is ready to install on your device”). This is frustrating. Now, I am afraid of installing the new version of Corona, since I do not know if the settings Eric provided above will be appropriate for that new version. I do not wish to mess things (more than they are?) around. Any other clue? Why do I need to manually incorporate the version in the code? Why Corona does not do it automatically?

Anna Hines
    Participant

All I can tell you is that I have created two distribution profiles for each of my apps. I know I should be able to use just one ad hoc for testing, but when I started out it was so confusing. So this is the way I do it, one for testing, and one for the store. I use the first to test on my iPad, iPod, and a few other devices of family members through Testflight. When it’s working fine on those, I build it using the other profile that is just for the store. I just went to the the apple developer site and checked and when you add a new distribution profile you do have to choose for either devices or store.

I’ve just downloaded the new Corona and am hoping that it will automatically add the CFBundle string so we won’t have to do that anymore. I understand that apple added this requirement just after the last public build was released.

Jorge
    Participant

Thanks Anna.
    I have got three profiles for each app: Development, Distribution ad hoc and Distribution Store.
    I know that the best way is to use the ad hoc one for testing in our devices. This is what I do.
    Now, do you do anything on the iTunes (apart from the profiles) side before you build in Corona for ad hoc and store? More objectively, do I need to change the status of the app in iTunes prior to building? If so, what is/are the status?
    I understand the issue of the CFBundle. Thanks.
    I will install the new Corona version and see if the CFBundle appears there.Oh God, I am starting to pray right now!

Anna Hines
    Participant

No, I don’t do anything on the status of the app before uploading a new build. The previous version stays until the new one is approved, then I assume it is replaced. In the iTunes developer site apple will change the status there to in show as it moves through the steps, but I don’t believe anything changes in to store until the new version is released, either on the date you set, or automatically as soon as it is approved. When I am submitting a new version, I do make appropriate changes in the description, screen shots, etc..

good luck to both of us on the new Corona build.

Jorge
    Participant

Thanks Ana. I am going to install the new version of Corona in the Mac (done in Windows and it was transparent), re-do again the profiles and see if a have the luck you are wishing me.
    I will keep posting here for others benefit.

eric
    Participant

JORGE,
    Just browsing through these replies so I am not sure if this was mentioned. but When you try to build it in Corona fifth line down is Code signing identity, (make sure to name all your profiles for the app a little differently, I usually include a date on mine to help tell mine apart, since sometime I need to make a new distribution or devel profile), but make sure you have the Distribution cert selected. That selection is the only thing that changes when it says ready to install on device or ready for app store. Code Signing is a pain in the ass, and gives us HUGE problems, and is tricky.

Also the CFBundleString added part in code was only needed after Apple made huge changes to their IOS8, I am sure Corona will catch up soon. We are planning on uploading another app Sunday, so keep us posted if you have any more trouble, and if so hopefully we can find a work around.

Jorge
    Participant

Thank you. I am looking at it again, after your latest reply+Anna’s posting.
    I am installing the new Corona version, which seems to resolve the CFBundle issue (see release notes and fixes).
    I will keep posting everey finding in here.

Jorge
    Participant

Eric & Maria,
    I wish you lots of success in the app you are launching today.
    Cheers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

The forum ‘Help me!’ is closed to new topics and replies.