Digital App Development
Devices and Platforms(Operating System)
|Apple||Phone, iPad, TV, Mac|
|Phones, Tablet, TV|
Complexity means much time and cost to develop app, challeng is big but reward is great
Before you start self-service app publishing
- Have a clear view of what is your app about?
- Will you work alone or in a team?
- How much money are you planning to spend in the development?
- Are you planning marketing initiatives with your app?
- Free or Paid? Trial or In-App Purchase?
- iPhone/iPad only? Android devcies? PC and Mac?
- Sketch the workflow of the entire project
- Plan a schedule and due dates for each task, set each commitment as outputs
Do a personal assessment?
- are you techie enough to learn and manage how to create your account and app settings at developer's site of apple, google and amazon?
- can you install SDKs like xCode, Android Studio?
Option A - submitting your content to other's app
|No technical skills required||Mostly available for story books|
|No upfront costs||Revenu share|
|No need of Mac for iOS publishing||No marketing control|
|No need of particular tools||No branding control|
|Faster to deliver||No code control|
Option Kwik - you creat your own app
|Your can design app||Requires spcialized tools|
|No revenue share except 30% collect from stores||Initial costs are high|
|Full control of your marketing||More complex to setup|
|Full control of your code|
|Full control of your brand|
- Everything is about story!
- Underestanding your acts and plot points
- Be carefull about "classic" stories: why another one?
- Example: Amelia and the Terror of the Night
Icon and naming app
- the most important assets
- you can register the name of your app months before release it.
- Everything is about ratings now. PR are OK, Reviews are nice, Ratings are MUST!
- Have a clear "persona" of your user?
- Age, gender, time of reading, devices etc
- "Persona" helps to sets art direction(mood) of illustrations and audio and difficulies of interactions and activities
- Your children apps can not have web links to external sites including yours.
- Your chiddren apps are better not to have in-app purchase or Ads
- Parental page
- How are kid's app developers communicating to parents
- Amazing illustrations but what are your weakness other than illustrating/drawing?
- Animatoins and intractive activites that enhance the experience?
- Professinal narration and sound effects?
Avoiding "design on the fly"
- Traditinaly linear
- Non-linear: what defines the sequence?
- Game oriented: collect pieces and move accordingly
- Example: This Moster(linear), Stolen(mixed), Stranded(non-linear), Monsters VS Robots(linear-game oriented)
- Thumbnail each scene
- board each scene
- Each PSD is a scene.
- Shows intro animation
- Read to Me / I Read options
- Shows witch playing
- Witch is thinking
- Allow users to switch languages